Friday, December 2, 2011

Advice for a short teen trying out for track and field hurdles?

(I'm a girl btw) I am in high school and am 14 and a half. (age)


I want to try out for track. I'm strong and fast but am only 5'2"





What advice could you give me, because I really want to do hurdles. How can I train myself to sprint faster and jump higher?





Thanks!|||Don't worry about jumping higher - work on form and balance. I have coached several short girls into the state track meet and this is what we stress. Most of all, do NOT be afraid of the hurdle - attack it!





Also, work on coming out of the blocks aggressively - many races are lost in the first 10 meters because of poor starting technique.





In the weight room, make sure to concentrate on the core (i.e., abs).





One more thing - work on flexibility. One cannot be too flexible.|||breath with on ur nose not wid ur moth keep up ur pace practice running cus it takes time|||i am a freshmen also, and im 5'11, although the fastest person in our school is a girl, a sophmore, shes 5'4, she is a beast, she practices at home and already has like 6 scholarships|||read "TQT ..." (the alleged coach) answer. seems to cover it all.





however, i suspect you could easily gain in height! i personally believe that if you WANT to do this, that in itself means a lot. can you practice on your own, at home? one summer the coach/school allowed me to take some hurdles home which i'd set out in the street (it was NOT a busy street) and practice. i didn't have talent nor speed but did get a bit better. i eventually concentrated on middle and long distances as i did not have jumping ability (nor speed). sounds like you have the speed -- which is a big part of the hurdles!

No comments:

Post a Comment