Friday, December 2, 2011

What are good spikes for hurdles?

I run the 110 meter hurdles and the 400 meter hurdles and I was wondering what kind of spikes I should get. I have Adidas spikes but they're too small now and I wasn't that big on them.|||Most hurdlers use a middle distance spike, it has a slight heel or cushion for your heel, and a sprint spike plate.


They do make hurdle spikes, but I don't think they will perform any better than a middle distance spike.|||Considering your dislike of Adidas, I'll avoid listing any spikes by them -





A good 400m flat spike is the Nike Maxcat - an update of this is the JA or Powercat, which assists your foot on the turn, via the arrangement of the spike plate.





However, if you are willing to try something slightly less mainstream - my advice would be to go for the ASICS Turbo Phantom.


Prices vary - but 拢30 is a good deal.





Designed especially for the turn, 200m and 110m Hurdles, it has a footstrap to lock down the forefoot, and the arrangement of the spike plate means that there is a great deal of tortion available on the ball of your foot - ideal for the landing and driving off from hurdles.








However, the Maxcat, and its successor - Maxcat II, are definitely favourites at my club with the 110m and 400m hurdlers, both of whom competed at the SEAA champs last year.





Hope that helps.|||For the sprint hurdles(110MH) stick with a sprint spike something like the Brooks Twitch S or F3 Sprint.


Fo the intermediate hurdles(400MH) try something with a slight heel but not a full pad continuing under the arch you need your arch to be flexible not stiff like a full distance shoe try the Brooks Surge MD


If you can't afford to buy 2 different shoes look for something in any brand with again a small heel but that it doesn't have a plate or padded sole carry all the way over your arches to the spike plate|||I have Nike sprinter spikes that I use for sprinting and pole vaulting. They make pv shoes, but there isn't really any difference. I'm sure it's the same for hurdles. I really like them. They are rival zoom's. I got them last year, so I don't know if you can get them anymore. Just the same, Nike spikes are great! Try going to a sporting goods store to get them. At the end of last season I got brand new spikes for $15. They are usually around $60. Be a smart shopper! Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment